- Your yeast is active if it foams up when added to sugar + water. mine is 2 years past the best before date but still works!
- Lukewarm water = 30-40C (body temperature)
- I put it in the sun or in a warm water bath to help along the foaming.
Proofing in a warm place
- Try the hot water cupboard, the oven with only the light on, or in your car if it is parked outside (unless the inside of your car is scorching hot).
- Use doubled in size as a guide, the time for proofing is not always accurate.
- Using a stand mixture with a dough hook - knead for 7-8 minutes. by hand, about 10 minutes. again, it is less about time, and more about how the dough looks and feels (smooth and elastic is the goal)
- I use high-grade bread making flour (it costs the same), but all purpose flour will also work. I have tried with wholemeal and it is fine too, but less fluffy and may require a little more milk/water in the dough. I have not experimented with gf flour.